From July 1918 to January 1996, the Varnum Memorial Armory in East Greenwich, RI, housed units from the Rhode Island State and National Guard. Built in 1913 and completed in 1914, the Varnum Continentals had the Armory built in the Medieval architectural style. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places and contains an extensive Military & Naval Museum.
The Varnum House Museum was built in 1773 by James Mitchell Varnum, a lawyer who entered the Revolutionary War and served as one of General George Washington’s Continental Army Brigadier Generals. Varnum was later Major General in command of the entire Rhode Island Militia. The museum is furnished with period furniture and features many historic artifacts.