Visit the Varnum Armory Museum, home of the largest collection of Rhode Island military history, by attending one of our public open houses or by booking a private tour.
Open House Events (FREE; donations encouraged)
Touring the museum during an open house is free, but donations are encouraged. No reservation is required. During a public open house, you can walk through the museum rooms and exhibits at your own pace. Docents will be present to answer any questions.
Upcoming Open House Dates & Times
- Sunday, March 12, 2023 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Sunday, April 16, 2023 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Private Tours (Paid)
A private tour is led by the museum curator or a docent. Private tours typically last between 1.5 to 2 hours. Content can be tailored to the interest and knowledge-level of the group or person booking the tour. The fascinating, personal, and often emotional stories that lie behind the artifacts are shared.
A tour of the Varnum Armory Conservation lab can also be included in the tour. Visitors will learn about and see current preservation projects being worked on by our textile and document conservators. Private tours must be booked in advance and confirmed by the Varnum Continentals. Private tours often get a unique chance to interact with and hold some artifacts as well.
Maximum number of people for a private tour is 30.
Private Tour Fees
Children under 18 and Varnum Continental Members are free (Join the Varnum Continentals).
1-5 adults: $75 total
6 or more adults: $15/person
CLICK HERE TO BOOK YOUR PRIVATE TOUR!
Important notes about visiting the Varnum Armory Museum:
- Access to the museum requires using a staircase. Elevators and ramps are not available today.
- Enter the Armory through the large front doors. They will be open or unlocked when you are scheduled to arrive.
- Parking is available on Main St., Division St. (north side of the Armory), or behind the Armory in the small lot in front of the green five-bay garage (despite the no parking signs; we own the building and lot).
- Given that the museum is about war history and the tools of war, our collection is not necessarily appropriate for younger children. Please use your best judgement.
- Please be respectful of the artifacts and do not touch anything. Pictures are allowed.
Contact the Varnum Memorial Armory Museum
6 Main St., East Greenwich, RI, 02818
Email the armory.
View in Google Maps || Get directions
The armory serves as the Varnum Continental’s headquarters and contains an extensive Military & Naval Museum. There are ample facilities for private and public functions. It has a large drill hall (40 x 110) capable of seating several hundred, as well as a dining room, meeting rooms, a balcony display area, and several offices.
Join the Varnum Continentals for $50!
At only $50 per person annually, membership keeps you in the Varnum loop and supports our efforts to preserve U.S. history and educate the public. Members get a monthly newsletter and can also attend our monthly dinner programs that feature authoritative and engaging speakers on historic and military topics. CLICK HERE TO JOIN NOW!
Make a Donation!
We’re a private nonprofit organization receiving no state or federal funding. We depend on your donations to support out valuable work to preserve U.S. history and support our two museums. MAKE A DONATION TODAY!